What to Expect
What to expect when you have a medical abortion
The 3 symptoms of knowing the abortion pills (medical abortion) are working for their intended use are:
- Passing blood clots
The day after your appointment is when you will miscarry. The 3 symptoms are necessary for the success of the procedure. Remember, these blood clots are just clumped tissue of the gestational sac.
What are the side effects?
In addition to the three symptoms of a successful medical abortion, you might feel the following:
- Low-grade fever
- Chills and or hot flashes
However, these side effects, whether you experience one of them or all of them, will go away on their own within two days.
After the miscarriage occurs the day after your appointment, you will experience bleeding and spotting over the next 2-4 weeks.
During the first two weeks, it’s imperative that you use pads or lining only. Absolutely no tampons, as it puts you at major risk for infection.
What else can’t I do?
For the next two weeks after you take the abortion pill, you must refrain from the following:
- Tampon use
- HERBAL TEAS (from Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Peppermint to Sweet/Unsweetened tea, green tea, black tea)
- HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS (includes probiotics, prenatal vitamins, biotin, zinc, multivitamins, protein supplements, ashwagandha, etc.)
- ASPIRIN. All other over-the-counter pain medication is fine for use. Like herbal teas and supplements, aspirin will make you bleed more than necessary.
- Swimming, bathtubs, pools
- No douching, use plain, fragrant-free soap
- No working out, heaving lifting or anything strenuous for at least one to two weeks
Although we do not have a 24-hour waiting period and Women’s Reproductive does offer same-day appointments, we do NOT offer walk-ins, and all appointments must be scheduled by calling the clinic phone number.
Since 2005, women from nearby communities have been coming to Women’s Reproductive Clinic of New Mexico for quality and affordable reproductive health care and abortion services.
Our experienced providers believe in providing you with information and education on different options so that you can explore all avenues to make the best decision for your reproductive health care needs. Ultimately the decision is and should be yours. Our goal is to provide you with the facts and answer any questions you have throughout the process.